Exhausting research (and looking for a small part)

T'is true...  My exhaust is a cornicopia (sp?) O' crap from the get-go...

Early dual outlet manifold & downpipe, modified with a (GASP) Jap-crap flexpipe, factory pipe (22 years old and still rusting) from there to the muffler, which is a Brosal unit from a G60, and a not-so-cool tip...  I am saving for a TT system, BTW...  :-)  DIng-diNG no more hopefully...

David

> From: Gordon Forbess <gforbess@attglobal.net>
> Date: 2004/10/15 Fri AM 10:36:34 EDT
> To: fahrvegnugen@cox.net
> CC: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: Re: Exhausting research (and looking for a small part)
>
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 9:48:05 -0400, David Utley <fahrvegnugen@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Gordon,
> >  Did you put anything in the cat after you hollowed it out?  I have had an empty cat on my car before, and it 'dinged'.  Ding-da-ding, dadaladingding, etc...
> >
> >I am interested in this, as mine is a bit too noisy now...
>
> Nothing added, although I could see where a "glass pack"
> resonator/expansion chamber could be the better alternative.  No
> undesirable sounds from my exhaust, but I do know that metallic
> ding-ding-ding you're referring to.  IIRC it was most evident after a
> new CC was installed-and I went through several under warranty.  VW
> had a real problem with the elements disintegrating - now THAT was an
> unmistakable sound when the cat went to rattle mode.
>
> YMMV however as I'm sure whatever header & muffler you're running has
> something to do with it.
>
> Gordon
>
> 75 Mk I/Drake 1.9
> http://pws.prserv.net/gforbess/scirocco/scirocco.htm