Exhausting research (and looking for a small part)

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 9:48:05 -0400, David Utley <fahrvegnugen@cox.net>
wrote:

>Gordon,
>  Did you put anything in the cat after you hollowed it out?  I have had an empty cat on my car before, and it 'dinged'.  Ding-da-ding, dadaladingding, etc...
>
>I am interested in this, as mine is a bit too noisy now...

Nothing added, although I could see where a "glass pack"
resonator/expansion chamber could be the better alternative.  No
undesirable sounds from my exhaust, but I do know that metallic
ding-ding-ding you're referring to.  IIRC it was most evident after a
new CC was installed-and I went through several under warranty.  VW
had a real problem with the elements disintegrating - now THAT was an
unmistakable sound when the cat went to rattle mode.

YMMV however as I'm sure whatever header & muffler you're running has
something to do with it.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9