From: "Miller, Chris" <chris.miller@infofoundry.com>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 5:18 PM
Subject: Which tranny is best (street mostly, some track days), 3 options

(Posted this on the vwvortex tech forum for manual trans, but don't
expect much response)

'81 Scirocco, going to a 2.0l 16v motor.
Have three available transmission choices.
1: 2Y 16v tranny from the donor '88 Scirocco
2: FF tranny from '81
3: 2H '83 GTI tranny

Ratios are supposed to be:

(final) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 RPM in 5th at 70

FF 3.89 3.45 1.94 1.29 0.91 0.71 2865
2H 3.94 3.45 2.12 1.44 1.13 0.91 3720
2Y 3.67 3.45 2.12 1.44 1.13 0.91 3465

I haven't driven the 16v or GTI transmissions. Like the wide ratios on
the highway, but want a bit more acceleration; seems like I'm shifting
into 4th at 65 when accelerating onto the highway. The 1.6 l in there
now needs the closer ratio; but will the FF be the best with the
additional 50 hp from the 16v?

Will the tall 5th from the FF swap into either of the other
transmissions? Realize that's a big drop with those final ratios.
Anyone got a spare 5th with a better ratio?

I drive to work daily (40 minutes of 40 mph back roads, with a 5 mile
highway section at 75-80 mph).
Plan to have maybe 6 days on track a year, probably short tracks like
Lime Rock and NHIS (perhaps off to Watkins Glen if it seems up to it).

Thanks, Chris in MA

---
Chris Miller
mailto:chris.miller@infofoundry.com