Which tranny is best (street mostly, some track days), 3 options

Go for the 2Y.

The 2H will run through gears too fast.

The wide ratio FF...ahh, I don't like it...I have an even wider ratio box in my 2.0L 16V MkI
(4-speed) and if it weren't for autocrossing intentions, I'd get rid of it quick.

5th gears are swappable.

Sure does burn up those front tires in 1st though (same as a 4K/2H AFA 1st is concerned).

HTH

Ron

--- "Miller, Chris" <chris.miller@infofoundry.com> wrote:

> (Posted this on the vwvortex tech forum for manual trans, but don't
> expect much response)
>
> '81 Scirocco, going to a 2.0l 16v motor.
> Have three available transmission choices.
> 1: 2Y 16v tranny from the donor '88 Scirocco
> 2: FF tranny from '81
> 3: 2H '83 GTI tranny
>
> Ratios are supposed to be:
>
> (final) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 RPM in 5th at 70
>
> FF 3.89 3.45 1.94 1.29 0.91 0.71 2865
> 2H 3.94 3.45 2.12 1.44 1.13 0.91 3720
> 2Y 3.67 3.45 2.12 1.44 1.13 0.91 3465
>

> I haven't driven the 16v or GTI transmissions. Like the wide ratios on
> the highway, but want a bit more acceleration; seems like I'm shifting
> into 4th at 65 when accelerating onto the highway. The 1.6 l in there
> now needs the closer ratio; but will the FF be the best with the
> additional 50 hp from the 16v?
>
> Will the tall 5th from the FF swap into either of the other
> transmissions? Realize that's a big drop with those final ratios.
> Anyone got a spare 5th with a better ratio?
>
> I drive to work daily (40 minutes of 40 mph back roads, with a 5 mile
> highway section at 75-80 mph).
> Plan to have maybe 6 days on track a year, probably short tracks like
> Lime Rock and NHIS (perhaps off to Watkins Glen if it seems up to it).
>
> Thanks, Chris in MA
>

> ---
> Chris Miller
> mailto:chris.miller@infofoundry.com

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor Jr." - '81 Scirocco S 7SM
2.0L 16V w/ Megasquirt, Quaifed GL 4-speed
It's Alive!!!