From: T Berk [mailto:tberk@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 9:46 PM
To: Rick Kellner
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: OT-A2 Jetta Question

Rick Kellner wrote:
> What does the bar at the underside, rear end of an A2 Jetta do?  This
> bar is held on to the underside of the car by four bolts.  It is about
> foot in front of the rear beam and is about four feet long.  I am not
> sure what it is supposed to do but mine makes a convenient place for
the
> exhaust clamp to bang against.  Any ideas what it does?
> Thanks,
> Rick K.

It's my understanding it is chassis stiffening in nature.

If you are getting enough motor/exhaust flex to hit the damned thing you

might want to replace:

- the exhaust hangers (cheap and easy, consider the ones with built in
chain link) AND

- the motor mounts (harder to get at and more expensive.)

I know it might seem easier to just remove the bar but we all know the
thing to do is fix the problem, not just treat the symptom.

TBerk