valve stem seal replacement

Cheers all for the advice!

unfortunately I didn't get to check the replies til
the Saturday, which meant a couple of hours running
around picking up the new head bolts which I hadn't
got in advance and finding a spline tool for them...
Then a further hour after the camshaft casing was
removed looking for another spline tool that actually
fitted into the casing! DOH!

Suffice to say, the whole job took twice as long as
expected, and when we finally fired her up at half
nine last night, we discovered that we hadn't set the
timing right, so we had two or three more attempts to
set it and finally got it running... although like a
bag of nails. So, I'm assuming the timing still ain't
right!?

Can anyone let me know if this is the most likely
reason the car has no power and is as lumpy as gravy
when I make it? - Is there any other possible cause? -
My bro and I followed the haynes (aka book of lies) to
the letter, though I'm worried that the letters
weren't correct?! - also I'm worried that we
mis-marked the crankshaft pulley and that's why it
doesn't time up right... seems with four bolts, that
there are only four ways it can go on right? - should
I try each of the four possibles, or do I stand to
bend my valves trying?!

Cheers in advance!

Sean

p.s. 1990 scala (no longer smoke machine, now rumble machine)