Forged or Cast Pistons - What's the verdict?

Don:

When is the last time you have heard of a cast piston failing in a NA VW street engine?  Or any VW
engine?  Or producing less horsepower than a forged piston in a like-for-like comparison?

My point is that cast pistons are perfectly suited for your intended use.  If they are to be found
cheaper, go for it.  If there are *no* downsides to a forged piston and the price is comparable,
then I'd be comfortable with those too.

I'd also find a way to use no-gap rings if possible.

JMO

Ron

--- Don Walter <dswalterwi@gmail.com> wrote:

> So far No one has answered the question but you have managed to evade
> it.  Please let's talk about the subject.
>

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:58:54 -0700 (PDT), Anson Clement
> <ansonivan@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Have you put any thought into building an ABF? If you need to buy pistons
> > anyway you might as well have JE make up a set of ABF spec pieces, pick up
> > an ABA block, and build a real monster.
> >
> > Have a look at Shannon Fenton's site for more info on the motor.
> >
> > I just can't bear the thought of buying new pistons and not going this
> > route.
> >
> > Anson
> >
> > Don Walter <dswalterwi@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Had my 2L 16V block inspected by the machine shop. The cylinder walls
> > are good and only have .001 taper but my pistons are worn beyond what
> > spec allows. They are worn .004" and the spec only allows around
> > .0028"
> >
> > So now comes the choice Forged or Cast (stock). Both are in the same
> > price range so that is not an issue. And I will most likely be going
> > with 83mm over sized pistons. Mainly because the machine shop wants
> > to straighten out the cylinders instead of just putting new stock
> > sized pistons.
> >
> > Public talk seems to favor WiseCo or JE pistons. Both are forged
> > type. WiseCo seems to be regarded as a better piston and actually
> > costs less. I talked to the manufacturer of WiseCo and they reassured
> > me that the type of problems/noise were eleiminated by newer
> > technology capabilities. My machinst favored forged pistons as well
> > and said that the tolerances for a street machine would be tigher that
> > a race engine which allowed the extra slop for expansion that caused
> > the noisey slap heard on cold engines.
> >
> > So has anyone actually used forged pistons and what has been your
> > experience? Any other good suggestions?
> >
> > --
> > Don Walter - Waukesha, WI
> > 1986 1.8 16V Black Scirocco
> > 1986 2L 16V Toronado Red Scirocco (under repair)
> > 1988 1.8 16V Toronado Red Scirocco (sold on 3/29/04)
> > 1984 1.8 8V Pewter Scirocco (sold years ago)
> > 1971 Karman Ghia (sold)
> > 1969 Karman Ghia (sold)
> > 1969 Beetle (sold)

> > vote.yahoo.com - Register online to vote today!
> >

> --
> Don Walter - Waukesha, WI
> 1986 1.8 16V Black Scirocco
> 1986 2L 16V Toronado Red Scirocco (under repair)
> 1988 1.8 16V Toronado Red Scirocco (sold on 3/29/04)
> 1984 1.8 8V Pewter Scirocco (sold years ago)
> 1971 Karman Ghia (sold)
> 1969 Karman Ghia (sold)
> 1969 Beetle (sold)

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor Jr." - '81 Scirocco S 7SM
2.0L 16V w/ Megasquirt, Quaifed GL 4-speed
It's Alive!!!