Scirocco-ignition woes

Hello again, Michael here and  I am still trying to get my 75 scirocco
running at least once before it goes into winter storage! I have just worked through
my relay board problems but not before I burned up my pertronics ignitor!
It's a '96 2.0 dualcarb motor, and I am wondering if I can use a hall sender
distributor from an '86 1.8 CIS car. Now the distributor has a plug-in that has 3
wires from the distributor connector, which has small markings of  (+ )and( -
), which I ran to the coil, and an (o) in the center.  The center wire is
green and white and would go to the Ignition control unit. My block does have an
unused knock sensor if it makes a difference, but there is no I.C.U.   Is this
making sense to anyone? I could go on, but if  there is any advise or
discussion I would appreciate it. Thanks, Michael