body/chassis work stuff

At 02:14 PM 09/30/2004 -0400, Allyn wrote:
>>If this is for the Twin, get a professional bodyman (woman?)
>
>not for twin, twin body is near-perfect, nothing some very thin filler in
>a few spots couldnt fix at least.
>
>>A retired bodyman is a really good choice. His wife wants him out of her
>>way and he wants to get away from the nagging.  He can do a better job in
>>an hour, without really trying, than you can do in a week, while you are
>>*really* trying.
>
>erm, by chance, are you a body man with a disgruntled wife?

Not a bodyman.  and you don't have to be a bodyman to get nagged, nor does
a wife have to be disgruntled. It is just one of the techniques they use to
keep men in line.  (You do know that in preparation for marriage women take
a course in nagging, don't you?)

>>The first few jobs are likely to look like shite.  Do it the efficient
>>way - beg!
>
>well, i have nothing pressing i need to beg for (see my prior post about
>the caddy though, its has a few dents in the sides of the bed).

If it is for your personal car then a volunteer is harder to get.  A lot of
guys who race have volunteers who have expertise in transmissions, rear
axles, etc, and for stock car racer (where metal to metal contact, without
penalty, seems to be as common as turning left)  body and paint men.

As for heat shrinking body sheetmetal, heating a small area with an
acetylene torch to a dull red/orange and then quickly cooling with water
(often gently squeezed form a wet sponge) or compressed air will shrink the
metal. (If you shrink too much, use a hammer and dolly to spread the metal
out again.)  There are several Websites that deal with metalshaping that
will be good resources.  Eastwood has info on products for bodywork and
probably some books and videos if you need more than you can find on the
net. Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.

Chris