Wires, coils, and elephants

> Hey guys(yeah yeah, girls too, lol),
>     My plug wires are dying. When it's dark I can see them arc to the head
> a little(mostly just #3, but water doesn't affect how the car runs). I
> think my coil is old and tired too(no Idea how old it really is).
> I have ye olde JH/ABA combo kicking. 10:1 compression.
> My Questions: What kinds of wires do you guys use? What kind of coils? Any
> advantages to MSD over accel or any other generic coils? Any advantage to
> fatty wires?
> I have taylor 8mm wires on the car now, they've been following me from car
> to car.
>
> thanx
> -George
> (Got ya, there aren't really any elephants!!)

Okay, and another question, have any of you actually had primary
resistance fall within the specs in the Bentley? I have one on the car now
which reads 2.3 as primary, Bentley says it should be .52 - .76. So I got
a new coil, it read 2.1, still not within spec. I took it back since I was
offered a used one, and it reads better, around 1.1, but still out of
range. (But I'll install it) Just wondering, since I tried my run of the
mill CTC meter, and a fancy schmancy one from school, and no big
difference in the reading.

And George, I have a used set of wires you can try out if you like. Or a
new set you can borrow for the weekend...I'm just using OEM stuff on mine.

Cathy, "one of the girls"
1999 TDI New Beetle
1987 2L 16V Scirocco
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V
"Deja moo- the feeling you've heard this bull before"