Wanted mk1

Just as the topic states,  I'm on the hunt for a mk1.  I'd like to find one
that'll run good enough to get to st. louis, and 79 or before.  Emissions
laws changed for missouri and they don't require emissions on cars 26 years
and older(it's a rolling year thing too).

It's got to be under a $1000 and not be rotting away.  It's going to get a
16v when I get one.  Yes the mk2 is going to be donating all it's parts.
And at some point in time it'll be a fully built carbed 2.0 16v.  Would
prefer a  non-sunroof model.

Scott Rose
88 red 16v
Import R  "solid shift" linkages for VW A1 chassis
http://home.mindspring.com/~slash2/LINKAGE1.JPG