$15K scirocco shopping list

> Okay, here we have the denial factor, I bet there are a lot of listers
> who've sunk nearly that in. (or at least 15K CDN, I guess you're talking
> closer to 20-25 grand in my dollars, that IS a lot) Recovering your
> investment? That means you're building to sell, not for your own
> satisfaction. Which is either unsatisfying or unrealistic.
>
> Were it me? I'd do the full rotisserie, windows out respray, and new seals
> (I'm hallucinating here, it'd be a MkI I'd be building), and a few
> carefully chosen Euro cosmetics. Something tasty for forward motivation,
> with powder coated everything, and suspension upgrades. But my vision is a
> uber-clean, stock look, and some hidden wickedness under the hood. Perhaps
> one of them snail shaped thingies stuffed into the exhaust, what are they
> called again?
>
> Honestly? I'm finding "hand me down Klaus" to be a lot of fun. No need for
> the $15K. There really is no "right" answer for this question, but it's a
> good question!

Yay, finally someone willing to play along with my hypothetical games :)

Personally, I'd start similarly, with a full strip down of a Mk1.  I think
they can do acid dip treatments to go to 100% bare metal.  Selective stitch
welding, though I don't intend to build a rally car or anything, just strut
towers and such.  Rollcage, but not something that will make the car
completely unusable for the street.  Custom dash in aluminum, fiberglass
(CF?), etc.  I would also consider replacing body panels with CF if there
were weight savings, but I have a feeling you wouldn't even save much.  When
I stripped my interior I was looking at it and decided you could probably
remove and replicate the entire roof panel, which would be good to move the
CG down.
16V Turbo engine.  A friend of mine back home just built one for his Jetta
and it should be pretty sick once its actually installed.  AWD by means of
an AWD tranny (which exactly decided by what would be physically possible)
as opposed to a dual engine setup because I'd kinda like to be able to use
the rear for carrying stuff and/or a mild stereo system.  Weight
considerations would dictate a lot of what I'd do, but I'd put in a PC with
an in-dash LCD, audiophile quality amps and speakers, and a single 10" sub.
That add's a lot of weight, but I think it's a compromise that'd be worth
it.
Full rewire (which would be obvious after stripping to a bare shell),
standalone engine management, and probably some little electronic bits such
as a security system, HIDs, door poppers (call it rice or whatever, but I
say its worth doing for clean lines).
Fender flares.  I've got a Kamei X1 kit, but if I could do anything I'd go
slightly more aggressive than that even, and more custom.  Moulded into the
body to make it more subtle.  I don't know what wheels specifically, but any
good lightweight 15" with a decent lip would do.  I dig the steelies with a
lip look.  Coilover suspension.  Has anyone fit one of those electronically
adjustable Tein suspensions into an A1?  Those are pretty slick.
I'd find a good 2 tone paint, but don't know what colors yet.  Dark blue and
something else so I can do it right (wetsanded and such, really nice waxes)
and show it off.  Maybe some sort of gunmetal for the other color?  I dont
like metallic paints on A1s though.

So yea, that's about what I'd do if I could go all out.

-Grant-
Annapolis, MD/Louisville, KY
1980 in storage :(