This is why Vortex Sucks

> --- Erik <pats16v@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I need to do a little ranting here.  Vortex really
>> pisses me off.   Some
>> where along the way everyone decided that their VW's
>> were worth a mint.

Well, here's the deal. You buy a car, it's a bit rough. So you sink a
bunch of money into it, because you feel like it, and you're attached to
the car. And you get it appraised for X dollars. You're a bit ticked cause
you put 1.5X dollars into it, or more. So you decide you want to do a
different project, and sell the car. You know it's appraised at X, but
you've put 1.5X in, so you list it at $1.2X. In reality, you'd be lucky to
get &.75 X, and will probably only hope to get .50X.

My nephew is a case in point. He has a decent enough A3GTI, which he sort
of likes. He has it all apart, and is spending a shitload on it to restore
it to new stock condition, including a full engine rebuild with new parts.
In the end, it'll be really  nice, but he'll never come close to getting
his money out of it, and I'm sure his attention span is only good for
another year or so, and he'll want something else. And he'll have huge
expectations of what the car is worth, and have to settle for what he'll
view as "getting ripped off".
I'm a lifer on my cars, so I'll get my investment back out, if you ever
can. Have you ever actually added up what you have in your cars? It'll
scare the shit out of you, just list the mods, and what they cost. Don;t
forget to add in all the gaskets and bolts. If you're modding with the
intent of making money out of it, forget it, you'll never do it. If you're
pure of spirit, and doing it for YOUR personal goals, and the good of the
VW species, it will be worth every dime. At least when the ungrateful
thing runs.
So 'tex or no, you see what you can get, and settle for less in most
cases. May as well ask high, you never know.

Cathy