MK1 Engine removal shortcuts?

Edward Effinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> We're about to swap the 1.5 with a GTI motor on my
> brothers 78 rocco.
>
> Are there any shortcuts to this engine removal?

- Getting the CV joints loose from the flanges is a dirty greasy job. It
helps to pin the brake rotor with say some vice grips or better yet (in
the case of vented) place a screw driver down the vent and have it bind
up on the caliper.

- Don't forget the little 'gotchas' like the Speedo cable on the trans.
It need a big ol honking Phillips. And the ground straps under the
battery that connect the trans to the frame.

- If you pull the axle nuts don't roll the weight of the car without re
torquing them back down. Not having axles in the bearings will ruin them.

- Get some blue masking tape and a box of zip lock baggies and a sharpie
marker and label everything you take loose and bag all the nuts and
bolts according to what it goes with. It'll help a lot later during
reassembly.

hth,
TBerk