mk1 electrical gremlins - alternator specific (...I think)

ok, i think i figured out why i was loosing
conductivity on the neg. end: that oil that had been
sucked into the air intake leaked down onto where the
neg lead from the battery attaches to part of the
subframe.  i cleaned that off, then moved the other
neg lead to the top of the strut mount, wire brushed
it down to bare metal.  thanks for the petroleum jelly
tip, i'll do that right away.  i also made a 8 guage
wire from the alternator to the chasis, and another
one to the engine block.  at idle i'm cranking out
13.2 V, compared to about 10.3 before.  thanks for all
the advice guys and gals!!!