loud tires or bad bearings

  I have just recently replaced the front tires on my GTI and I'm having similar results as far as noise during driving. Though the VR6 is a 98' it was just repaired from an accident (which involved replacing the front left control arm and H&R shock) I am pretty certain that the wheel bearings are still up for a few more K-worth of mileage. The front tires were pretty bald at the time of the accident (don't say it, I was not at fault...therfore the tires had nothing to do with it, heheh) and when I finally broke down and attempted to get some fresh rubber I discovered my particular tire was discontinued. The tires I originally had on the front (still in rear) were Yokohama Avid HR 205/40/17, but the only available 'Avid' in my size and application were Avid HR2's. They have the exact same outer tread, but the whole inner tread is totally different and being professionally balanced, I'm figuring that this particular redesigned tread is causing the extra noise up front. The noise
 however, goes away at slower speeds and during turns through the city. I've come to the conclusion that (in my case) this si'tiation falls under the 'they don't make'em like they used to' scenario.
                                                                                                                 -Adam
                     -aww man, that last sentence was definately a sign that I'm getting old...