[CLUBVAC] Off to New Dimensions Show - I'm Back!

After 10 days and 10 hours, 6,885 miles, 15 expensive tanks of gas,
and 1 speeding ticket in Elko, Nevada, I'm back from my 2004
transamerican road trip.

Thursday night on my way out I met up with Anson and Sara Arms in Ohio
and had a dinner. Unfortunately this fun, and my sleepy body digesting
a big dinner, delayed my getting to the Bay Area for the cruise or
Dave Guido's BBQ by 12 hours. :-(

A cop in Elko, Nevada gave me a ticket for going 75 MPH (I had the
cruise control on) a few feet into a 65 MPH zone after 115 miles of a
75 MPH speed limit. Asshole! I'm still pissed about this, let's see if
<http://www.ticketassassin.com/> can help get me out of this from 2400
miles away.

Got up at dawn on Sunday morning and walked the Golden Gate bridge 2x
and took a ton of pictures. Sure was a beautiful bridge!

Great to see all of the Scirocco folk at the New Dimensions show. What
a difference ND is from Waterfest! A real chill vibe given off by all
the CA folk! More Mk1s then Mk2s sure is different, none of them with
any rust! Grrrr... Lucky bastards!

After the show I checked out Berkley, the Bay Bridge, and some of the
San Francisco neighborhoods.

My trip down the Pacific Cost Highway on Monday kicked ass! I have a
ton of pictures which I hope to post soon. Over 13 hours from Half
Moon Bay to San Diego, but well, well worth it, except for the nearly
two hours spent on I-405 in LA. My favorite parts were the "Dangerous
Curves and Elevation Changes - Next 63 miles" sign, the dangerous
curves and elevation changes themselves, and the beach full of
Elephant Seals just north of San Simeon.

San Diego was pretty cool as well, hung out with my friend Jack who
was in town for a Microsoft show all week and let me crash in his
hotel room. Managed to get myself a Ralph's discount card (a must for
an east cost Big Lebowski fan), and had time to cover just about all
of town.

The drive back was pretty uneventful. AZ took forever to traverse and
the TX panhandle had more cops on it then I had seen during the sum of
the rest of my trip.

Another stop at Anson's place on the way back, this time Ben Harder
was there, both them were buzzed by the time I got there at 1:00 AM
and giddy about their respective secret projects. A little bit of
prank calling list memembers at obscenely late hours was a fine wrap
up my trip!

-Marc

'81 VW Scirocco             Philadelphia, PA
'84 VW Bunny Truck          marc@getty.net
'02 C230 Kompressor         AIM: DaMarcDaMarc