Antenna stuff

<snip Cathy>
But the QUESTION was...my antenna won't work, how can I fix it?
 <end snip>

You actually want a direct answer to a direct question?!?  The nerve.  ;)

I know you've got a MkI, but I remember seeing reference to a Fuba.
Generally speaking, when the amp goes on the Fuba, you get poor FM reception
and no AM reception.  That's not your situation.  It almost sounds like your
antenna isn't connected.  Do you have a known good antenna wire or second
antenna and wire lying around?  If so, I'd disconnect your current antenna
at the head unit and connect the known good antenna or wire to the head
unit.  If you get better signal, you've got a bad antenna wire.  Replace it
and you should be good to go.  If the signal is the same, something's up
with the head unit.  In that case you can 1) repair or replace it, 2) go for
the IPod thing, 3) use a cassette adapter and power converter to run a
portable disk player off the cassette, or 4) learn to enjoy AM (I hope you
like religious talk and country music).

-Brad
'86 Scirocco 16v