Posted Driver's Side Mount Fab Page

comments within

Subject: Re: Posted Driver's Side Mount Fab Page

> Kirsten, Dan,
>
> Are you going to post drawings with specs for the passenger side, driver's
> side, and rear mounts?  Better yet, Dan would you be willing to  make
> additional sets of the mounts from time to time?

There is a big difference between designing a part and making the part to the drawing and
fabricating a one off.
In this case we did the latter so there are no drawings.
If we thought we could make some money on selling mounts then we would have designed the part and
made it to the drawing, but quite frankly there's no money to be made fabbing parts like this in
your garage. (at least not enough money to make it worthwhile)
So, Kirsten has the only set.

> Qs: 1) If you'd had the
> time and your choice of materials would you have designed the driver's side
> mount differently?

I'm pretty happy with what we came up with.
Desiginng this sort of thing is part of my professional job, but if I was designing it at work it
would be designed to be made by production tools. So, the best we could do is try to replicate that
design bearing in mind the tools I have available in my garage.
If we'd had access to production tools it would have looked somewhat different, but the basic form
would be the same.
As far as material the choices come down to aluminum, steel or stainless steel. (I can't weld
titanium ;^)
Maybe steel doesn't give us bragging rights compared to stainless, but it's just fine for this
application.
Needless to say the exhaust downpipe will be stainless, so when we get done with that you'll get to
see if we (Kirsten's welding skills should be coming up to speed by then) can weld stainless worth a
damn.

> 2) This was TIG welded?

Yes.

> 3) with all the welding on the  DS mount, a) did you have a problem with warpage (causing
misalignment of
> the original holes)?

I would have expected quite a bit of warpage, but amazingly there was very little! TIG welding
really minimizes the heat input, especially compared to oxy-acetelene welding and that apparently
helps mimiize warpage.

> and b) How the heck did you avoid melting the rubber
> part of the mount?

Well, actually the rubber did melt a little but it was going to be replaced anyway. I think you can
see that the mount isn't oriented correctly for the final bracket but we kept it in there bearing in
mind that the center was going to change when we put in the correctly oriented final mount.

>  The mount looks great.

Thanks. It was a lot of work, we're happy with the results and Kirsten has done an awesome job
documenting the mount fabrication.
Dan