8v to 16v questions

>>So "let's pretend" for a moment... If one were to replace their 2Y
>>(3.67 Final Drive) on their existing 16V with a
>>4K (3.9 Final Drive) from an early eighties (8V) GTI or such... So
>>then, in addition, one would ideally use:
>>
>>8V Clutch 210mm
>>

>>- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
>>'86.5 Black 16V 2.0L
>>

>Brett Van Sprewenburg <brett@netacc.net> wrote:
>

>No, not exactly. You can use a full 16v 210mm clutch and pressure
>plate in that setup.
>
>2Y w/3.94 R&P and 8v 4th gear. The input shaft still has the 16v
>spline count. I hope
>I know...it's what's in my car.
>
>==Brett
>
>> Dan Smith wrote:
>
>> With the 2y, from what others say, Brett is right, full 16v setup.
>> However, according to people the 4k would require the 8v clutch disk.
>> Basically, 8v trannies get 8v clutch disks and 16v ones get 16v disks
>> right? I'm sure there are exceptions but is that a good general rule?
>>

>>Dan

Ah, I see I have confused folks, but I think I understand now;  I meant
to ask if replacing the _entire 2Y transaxle_ for a 4K would require an
8V clutch (consensus is yes)
OTOH, if one were to keep the 2Y, but rebuild it utilizing the 3.94 ring
& pinion and 4th gear of the 4K, (giving it 4K torquey goodness) then
one would indeed continue to use a 16V clutch (also valuable information)

Brett, how do you like your setup?  Are all your gears (besides 4th) 2Y
gears, or is it full custom rebuild? (Especially curious about your 5th)