Ignition question

This is on the white "Scirocco", an 8v. Anyway, it won't start, and my son
did some trouble shooting yesterday while I was at work, and he says there
is no spark. The coil tests out fine, as does the wire from coil to
distributor. Now what are the options? Hall sender/ICM? And what's the
trouble shooting procedure to figure out if they're pooched? Any other tests
I should be doing?
Also, the correct ICM would be found in what cars? Any of the more recent
8Vs? (And is 16V different? I have one of those lying around)
This is for the 88 Cabby BTW. It wants to be a Scirocco SO bad...

Thanks in advance, Cathy