?'s about P&P

According to TT, the 2.0L head flows slightly better but has smaller ports
so the shape is better than the 1.8L stock.  The 1.8L head flows about 8%
better on intake and the 2.0L flows about 12.5% better on the exhaust side.
I believe the lower numbers for the 2.0 are for torque (because it was put
on a 2.0L, they came in bigger, heavier cars, and the 16v engine lacks in
the torque area) and the better exhaust flow was for better flow (duh) but
also for better heat dissipation.  I have always liked the 2.0 head because
it is newer (less stuff gone wrong with them, can find more with lower
miles, probably been messed with less by amateurs, less wear on parts, etc.)
and has had some upgrades like the meatier better shaped ports and the
timing gears (less noise) .  All this said about the stock configuration
goes out the window though when you start grinding on it and at this point
in time there are probably more that have been ground on than stock heads
still floating around.  So, it comes down to the newness of the part(s).
One other thing to take into consideration is how many times that tensioner
has been over-torqued causing wear on the threads in the head that holds the
tensioner stud in place.  I have had first had experience with this and now
I triple check the condition of and the tightness of that stud in the head.
If it gets loose while running/driving, then buy buy valves, hello lots of
work and money!

Plus, usually, I believe that newer parts are superior to older parts as
engineers consistently try to improve upon the older designs.  I believe VW
learned from the 1.8 that it needed more torque, better heat dissipation,
and smoother operation so the 2.0 head was created.

BUT, this is just my opinion.

Dave