Fuel question, CIS

On Sun, 23 May 2004, C Boyko wrote:

> Just a quick one, on my 79 (Klaus) which is a 1.6 with CIS/points, I have a
> ticking sound which seems to be coming from the fuel line between the filter
> and the distributor when I shut it off. It ticks maybe 10 or 20 times then
> quits. I'm suspecting this line isn't the original one, it looks to be about
> 10" long, and makes a full circle before reaching its destination, and it
> has a heavy rubber coating on it, which is cracked. By comparison, my 80 has
> a shorter, to the point, hard looking line in the same location.

Cathy, remeber that Klaus, being from the states, is CIS-K lambda (and has
a frequency valve.)  The 80, on the other hand, is plain-jane CIS.  I'm
guessing the ticking you're hearing is the frequency valve - thequestion
is, why is it still trying to work after the car is shut off?  Possibly a
wiring fault in the K-Jet control unit.

> So what do you think the ticking's all about? (the fuel filter's an unknown
> quantity, it's a candidate for replacement) And should I swap that line from
> the 80 into it?

Nope- don't muck with the filter (they don't make noise unless there's
little mice in there with hammers - at your place, that wouldn't surprise
me - and he line is different because of the frequency valve.)

> One more handy tip from Cathy: Your 8V will run like ass if you do the plugs
> and leave one plug wire off (Doh).

Funny how they do that.  If you leave the right wire off, it won't run at
all... :)

> Anyway, as usual, feedback is welcome. Unless it involves donating the car
> to someone.

Damn - how did you know I was going to suggest that solution?

Seriously, I'd try unplugging the frequency valve (you should see it
buried on the back side of the fuel distributor - it's the only electrical
connector in there,) and see if the noise is still there when you shut it
off again.  If it's still there, then go track down all your hammers -
odds are the mice have stolen one and are hiing out in the fuel filter.
Otherwise, time to diagnose the K-jet control unit and associated wiring.

Drew

--

84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD     http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd
89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant