Is this how I'm supposed to build it? [LONG]

Nice brace!  The only suggestion I would make is to use long nuts.
After lots of use, the threads are less likely to get buggered up if you
use longer nuts.  (mind you my brace gets lots of use, as I use and lend
it out quite often).  It's also harder for the wrench to slip off them
when you're raising/lowering...  I also smoothed the ends of the
threaded rod with a grinder after gashing my forearm pretty bad once...

Like you mentioned, blocks on top of the 2x4 are a good idea...

At one point I was thinking of a way to motorize the raising and
lowering, cause as you'll soon discover you'll be at it a while.  Before
I had a polished idea, that thought got pushed out of my brain, replaced
with some other way of "making a better mousetrap" for god knows
whatever tangent my scattered brain took off on...  :D

Mark - tinkerer/dreamer/procrastinator - Gemini through and through...
:)
75
77
80 S