removing transaxle

Jacob wrote:

> I have been swapping the tranny in my '80 for about a month now, about
> one day a week of wreastling that thing, on the ground, while constanly
> worrying about all those ear wigs that fell out of the jack stand.
> Anyway, I am at a road block, I got the passanger side of the transaxle
> (not sure if transaxle refers to the section of the tranny or the axles
> themselves, in this case I'm talking about the axles) out of the tranny.
> It just fell off the mounting once the bolts were gone. But the driver
> side wont budge, how do I get that thing off. its the disk not the
> actual axle that wont move.

OK, lets define some terms and we can narrow in on a solution:

- the transaxle is the gear box, it includes that portion on the back
the axles tie into. The transaxle ends at the flanges the inner CV
joints bolt up to.

- Outbound from the trans are inner CVs, the axles shafts themselves,
the outer CVs, then the bearings and hubs w/ brake calipers, etc.

The trans (as opposed to a tranny) is held onto the motor block by the
following items... wait- the 1st thing I want to mention is early cars
need to have the motor rotated to TDC (Top Dead Center) to allow for a
crescent shaped cut out to align between the flywheel and the trans.

There is a hole atop the trans (more complete trans have a plastic plug
in there) that you can use to peep down on the flywheel.

Now, back to bolts.

There are the front ones holding the front motor mount through the
starter motor.

<My brother needs some NAT/router help> I'll finish this post in a bit.

TBerk