Clutch cable adjustment

OK, so I was twisting the right way... I need to tighten it waaay more.  But now when I twist the cable sheath to tighten it, the cable sheath just kinda binds up top (i.e. it's not twisting where it meets the firewall) and untwists itself when I try to tighten the locknut.  Any tips for getting the ENTIRE cable sheath to spin?  I'm sure someone's run across the same issue.