Gas filler neck Q, don't blow me off

>From: Gordon Forbess <gforbess@attglobal.net>
>To: "C Boyko" <roccit_53@hotmail.com>
>CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Re: Gas filler neck Q, don't blow me off
>Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 08:54:19 -0700
>
>On Sat, 15 May 2004 14:53:49 +0000, "C Boyko" <roccit_53@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
> >Okay. My 16V is drizzling gas around the bottom of the filler neck clamp.
>It
> >was suggested (and rightly so) that it is most likely the rubber hose
>that's
> >at fault, since this area is full of fuel and is an unlikely corrosion
> >candidate. SO off I go to find the rubber hose, which nobody on God's
>green
> >earth seems to have, so I order it from VW at $50 I might add. Needless
> >say when I was IN Hagersville the dealer couldn't find where they had put
> >it, so off I go for a special trip to get it this morning, and ...
> >
> >Yep, a full four inches too short.
> >
> >1. Could somebody crawl under their 16V and tell me how long the hose is
>on
> >theirs to see if it's 7" or more like 10-11"?
>
>I checked the hose on my 75.  It's 7 inches.  So you seem to have one
>that would fit my car.  Strange.. I tried to buy one when I went
>through my fuel system and the VW parts guy said it wasn't available
>anymore.
>
> >2. How close to the tank should this join in? I'm wondering if part of
>one
> >of the metal hoses that the rubber goes onto has been deleted, and if so,
>is
> >it the tank or filler end neck that's short. The gap between the metal
>parts
> >is well in excess of the 7" that I have hose for. Or is this identical to
> >the Mk1s, in which case I can check for myself.
> >
> >3. How much trouble am I asking for if I cut the hose in half and add in
> >4-5" length of exhaust pipe? It shouldn't leak, right?
>
>The filler and tank connections have bell ends, so it could be a
>problem.
>
> >Anyway, I can't think of any other way to fix it, suggestions are more
>than
> >welcome. Matches are not an option, but tempting. Why the hell doesn't
> >anything go normally on this car? (I'm honestly afraid of what I'll find
> >when I do pull that hose off, but I guess I gotta bite the bullet eh?)
> >Cathy
>
>After what I read when chasing my rust problem, I still think your
>filler pipe may be the source of your leak.  The hose on my car looked
>good enough to reinstall (I was told I had no choice, of course) and
>it's working fine.
>
>Gordon
>
>75 Mk I/Drake 1.9
>http://pws.prserv.net/gforbess/scirocco/scirocco.htm

Well, so sorry to be in a pissy mood when I post. I'm just tired beyond
words of wrong parts. So, Gordon, thanks (Wow, that was fast!) and now you
know the part can be had, ask for the 1987  16V one. (It's 6 3/4", with an
internal diameter of 4cm) I'm gonna try the splice, not sure what else I can
do, and the two metal parts on either end look to be in good shape, with the
bell end as you put it.  The offending end had some sort of flaking sealant
crap that was likely the source of the leak, but as is usual, I'm adding
time to the job and POR15ing the whole neck. It's solid but has a bit of
surface rust. The hose on mine appears to have been rad hose, so I'll try to
put things back together and see how she goes.

Thanks, and sorry to post when I'm frustrated, This slow computer doesn't
help either. Hopefully I'll be able to go for a ride soon without huffing
gas.
Cathy

Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN Premium