gearshift linkage rebuild makes for a new car again

Although I had redone all the linkage bushings under the hood when I
first put the car on the road 5 years ago, I JUST got around to
replacing the worn out ball/socket assembly at the base of the shifter
lever with one that had significantly less wear.  I also installed new
bushings at the base of the shifter lever, and re-aligned the shift
linkage.

What a difference - minimal side/side play in the shifter lever, precise
gear selection - no more vague "toss it up there - you'll either hit
fifth or the glove box."

While I had the lever out I cut about 1.5" off the end - and was
surprised by the reduction in throw it made (I already have a 60%
reduction on the gearbox selector lever)

Now if I could only just wave a magic wand and refresh those worn
synchros on second and fourth I'd be a happy camper.

Drew

84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd
89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant
94 A3 Golf GL TurboDiesel, 99 A3 Jetta GL TDI
At the time this email was written there were only
24 days, 14 hours, and 5 minutes until Cincy2K+4! Have YOU packed yet?