Broke my clutch cable in Saturday Rush-hour traffic

... and the only shop that had them in stock  (and was open today)
closed at 4:00, about 2 minutes before I arrived from across town. (No,
I wasn't driving my rocco to the parts shop;)

I-5 traffic from Portland into Vancouver was stinky slow today, and  my
clutch (and my left leg) got quite a workout.  I was almost across the
interstate bridge when *thunk* my left foot went straight to the floor
as I went into 3rd.  Crap!  Lucky for me, there was no further
stop-and-go traffic, and I was able to limp home in 3rd the rest of the
way.  Really REALLY lucky it didn't go out 20 mins sooner as I was just
getting into the stop-and-go, or tomorrow, when I planned a Mother's Day
drive down 75 miles of windy, curvy SR-14 to my folks' place!
Stinky, indeed. Now I have to cancel my Sunday trip. And wait till
Monday for my regular shop to open to get a cable.

Now, to get a Manual or Self-adjusting Cable?  To my surprise, my broken
cable turned out to be a manually adjusted cable (which was also missing
some of the bushings near the adjustment disc).  Would this explain the
stiffness of the pedal I have always experienced with this car?  Are
auto-cables smoother and less springy?...cause I'm thinking about
switching back to one of these if this is the case.

On the other hand, are all A1 manual cables the same or are they unique
to the Scirocco, as I was told the self-adjusters are?  (and what's this
with the Bentley saying  these two types of cables are not
interchangeable??)  Could I "grease it up" as Allyn does and expect
easier clutching?

Here is a sampling of a thread on this subject in March, thanks everyone
for the great input.

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
   '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L