EVERYONE PLEASE READ !!!

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 12:26, ATS - Patrick Bureau wrote:
> For weeks now everyone has been tossing me the pesky/sasser virus by email,
> and I have one simple request.

Patrick, if you're getting sasser via email you're alone on the Internet
- everyone else gets it by having systems vulnerable to the LSASS
exploit addressed in MS04-011.

> To head off this worm (I understand you may not be the originator of the
> email but listen up)
>
> If you have ats@longcoeur.com or atsgtx@hotmail.com or longcoeur@yahoo.com
> in your Outlook, Yahoo Online mail reader (yes it does go through this
> system) or your <insert email program name here>, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
> remove me from your Address book...

This can only be described as an effort in futility.  An efficient email
worm does not restrict itself to contacts/addressbooks.  W32.Netsky and
variants scan a long list of filetypes found on all mapped drives to
harvest email addresses - this includes (but is not limited to) .doc,
.txt, .msg and .htm(l).

> I am tired of getting 8-12 email an hour from whom out there has my email
> address in their book and is sending me those emails

Patrick, I really hate to say it, but the old adage "If you can't handle
the traffic, get off the bloody highway!" applies here.

> Secondly, could I strongly suggest you ALL scan and update your Mcafee or
> Norton or whatever your using to clean your system, go to Norton web site
> and get the Pesky and sasser cleaners, it will cost you NOTHING and will
> confirm if your antivirus is doing its job.

It does not necessarily have to be someone on this list.  Someone may
have done a search on Google for "Texas Brisket," had a hit on the
scirocco-l archives, and ended up with your email address in their
internet cache - which was then promptly harvested by the Netsky (or
other email worm) infection on their machine.

> I am sending this to this list as all names/email addresses that have been
> sending me the pesky/sasser viruses by email are all without exception list
> members.

I would suggest before spamming the list with your rants you might want
to look at the email headers of the messages you're getting to help try
to determine the source.  Accosting the members of this list about their
poor computing habits is completely unfounded.

> We as a group should help prevent dissemination of viruses to others in this
> community.
> I now will get off my soap box, but by next Monday anyone sending me a virus
> will be blocked from ever being able to communicate with me ( and I don't
> take the email name at face value I read the complete header that indicates
> where it is coming from), I understand this is a unfair and truly harsh way
> to do this, but I am tired of seeing the number of viruses being sent to me
> because someone out there is too lazy to admit they may have a virus and/or
> don't care, or believe that this or that freeware antivirus does the job, or
> what ever reason you may insert here.

Somehow, Patrick, I think you'll only be hurting yourself with this
truly uninformed and/or misguided approach.

Drew

84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd
89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant
94 A3 Golf GL TurboDiesel, 99 A3 Jetta GL TDI
At the time this email was written there were only
27 days, 10 hours, and 4 minutes until Cincy2K+4! Have YOU packed yet?