more engine pulling Qs - Long Reply

Dan Smith wrote:

> I've got everything disconnected from the head now,
 > though it's still currently bolted in.
 > The AC compressor is getting closer to being able
 > to be removed (the hoses are going to have
 > to be sawzall'd) but there is one bolt that
 > will be much easier to reach with the head off.
 > My question is though, is it easier to pull the
 > head and then the rest of the engine/tranny
 > later with the head off or is pulling it out
 > all at once the way to go? The problem is that
 > I am able to sneak the car into a garage for a
 > couple days, but only a couple.
 > Rain or bad weather isn't really a problem, dust
 > is about the only issue I have to contend with.
 >  What's the best way to go about this?
>
> TIA,
> Dan
> P.S.- How heavy is a 1.6L head?

What it your ultimate goal?

Lets assume it's total removal of the motor. (Including transaxle?)

More to the point, you don't really care to much about salvage, or are
at least getting the parts reconditioned prior to reinstall.

If this is true the focus is on simple, sacrificing the motor for the
chassis.

If so then lets go with this:

you can drop the motor (w/head) and transaxle out as one whole piece
pretty easy.

- The inner CV joints at the gearbox (most likely 12 point)

- The four motor mounts.

- The intake & fuel plumbing.

- The Ign. and sensor wires.

- The exhaust manifold/downpipe. (Usually easier to undo the three bolts
at the bend down below. The manifold can come off later.

Leaving a lot of stuff on the motor means it might be easier to pull it
out the top via winch or come-along.

The more you take off, like the manifolds, transaxle*, etc makes it
easier to drop the motor out the bottom. Ding it this way means raising
the chassis up a little to clear the motor laying on it's back, but
either way works.

Taking the head off is a worthy thing if you don't cadre much about the
motor. You can stuff rags in the cylinder holes to keep gack out.

It doesn't really weigh much, I leave em on. Having it there provides
some good fastening points for chains, hoists, etc.

*If you take the gearbox out of the car, and need to roll it on it's
wheels, be sure to tighten the axles back into the hubs; The axles
unbound from the hubs will mean you will wreck the bearings if you roll
the car with the axle nuts off.

OK, I went back and reread your pulling the motor thread. Now I feel
silly writing all that stuff above. <ah>

Pull the head. Leave the motor and trans axle until you get a second
pair of hands and/OR a hoist type arraignment.

Pull the stubs off the axles or get scrap ones and bolt them into the
hubs so you can roll the car around.

hth,
TBerk