lowering springs for an 86 GT

On Wed, 05 May 2004 16:58:40 -0400,
Drew <drew@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 16:51, T Berk wrote:
> > Well, Isn't the 1986 year an A2 chassis, even in the UK?
> >

> It's an 86 Scirocco GT - an A1 platform.
>
> > If so you are looking at spring perch size differences, I believe,
> > as well as possibly differences in total shock diameter meaning the
> > A1 chassis springs (esp after market) may not fit the later cars.
>
> I didn't think there was an issue with A1s since 1980 for spring perch
> size.  Th only difference *should* be spring load - based on the
> weight of the cars.  A1 Jetta springs on a Scirocco or A1 Golf will be
> a bit stiff because there's no trunk hanging out past the rear axle.
> COnversely A1 Golf springs on an A1 Jetta will result in a sagging
> rear.

I see your point about weight, but Europarts have two A1 spring sets:
one for all roccos except GT, and another for rocco GTs and golfs and
jettas. I fail to see what is the difference between a rocco GT and GTX.
The Boge spring kit I am looking at second-hand is only listed as
compatible with Golfs & Jettas, surely it would be in their interests to
put rocco on the box too?

I think I am going to go for the Boge kit; If Europarts use the same
springs for Jettas and Rocco GTs then so shall I. I'll report back when
they are fitted.

cheers for the heads-up

--Andrew

--