rear opening windows

Mike Smith wrote:

> Drew MacPherson <drew@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 May 2004, T Berk wrote:
>

>>I remember the Fab Four = Reed, Sue, Ben & Johnny.
>
> I thought that was the _Fantastic_ Four? Damn, now why don't they make a
> movie about that? Sigh. Those were the days.
>
> Drew
>

 > Ask and ye shall receive:
 > <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120667>

Aw, ye beat me to it Mike. I was setting myself up.

(funny aside; I was listening to 'twist & shout' yesterday and instead
of John & Paul I visualized Ferris doing the parade.)

Back on topic; before I give specifics I'll need to spec the metal
channel built into the car body (Scirocco).

There is another reason btw for doing this or something like it; the
rear side window rubber is the hardest to source.

Sooner of later the California sunshine and the Ozone smog will full rot
mine away.

 From time to time I feed the rubber with some non silicone based fluid
but still.

So, if we are fabbing new, we should incorporate the idea of a rear
opening window. The basic idea I like is  a piano hinge, on the leading
edge. It must be internal, hidden from the external view. Cant disrupt
the stock look.

The fastener can attach to the FRAME of the window, else we get into
drilling tempered glass- never a good thing. Besides it makes
replacement glass a stock piece.

(Tosha pauses to bite into corn on the cob from yesterday's bbq.)

OK,
Another concern is the rear fastener, this can be harvested from another
car- although the beautiful aspect would be to dip into the VAG parts
bin. How about from a Beetle?  :]) Or an old Dasher, the Golf 1/Rabbit's
half brother. (What models had such a window?)

Lets keep going and debug this thing.

TBerk