pulling an engine Q's

With school ended, I now have tons of free time on my hands so I figured I'll get started dismantling my engine bay. The engine is junk and will be tossed but the tranny is good and I'm planning on reusing it. It may be a little while before I can put things back together. I figure draining oil and coolant will be fine, but what about tranny fluid? Should I leave that in or can I store the tranny empty? An RD bottom end and cross flow top end will be going in, so what accessories should I pull to put on the new engine? Can I just toss the old 1.7 into the dumpster or are there rules against that sort of thing? The bottom end is shot, spun bearing I think. Head is good, anyone want it? I plan on following the instructions in my How To Keep.... book and going as far as I can with basic hand tools. Are there any special tools needed that will halt me right off the bat? My goal for tommorrow is to pull the head and everything attached to it. Tranny and bottom end will probably stay in
 until I can get a second set of hands. I'd rather not find out the hard way that my chest can't support dropping a tranny onto it...

I'm really excited about not only having a constructive use of my time and being able to work on my car, but also having the ability to dismantle the engine bay without fear of screwing something up. Advise, tips, etc appreciated.

Dan