Shutting up lower heat shield ratle

Ok, I know Cathy or one of our lovely ladies was having an issue with the
16v lower heat shield making a ton of noise.  The shield I'm refering to is
the one that bolts to the block but curves over the pass side tranny flange
and cv-joint.  While many folks sai chuck it, I'd rather keep it and not
eventually toast the boot.  As I live in the south were temps are a bit
higher, it may be more of a possibility then for you northern folks.

Anyway, I know that it was disscussed that there are supposed to be rubber
inserts on the bolts to stop the rattle and that you might as well be
looking for a needle in a hay stack.  Well, yesterday I went to tame the
same issue on my 16v and ended up using some strips of cork in place of the
rubber. Basicly it's just a roll of cork gasket material an I ut a 6 inch
strip that was as wide as the washer, doubled it over twice and punched a
hole through it.  But the bolt through the hole and bolted all three bolts
back on.  And result, no more rattle.  I would reccomend getting a roll of
rubber gasket material to do this as I figure the cork is only going to last
about 6-8 months.

Anyway, for those wanting to shut that thing up, heres a way to do it and
keep all the parts on the car that are supposed to be there.

William Snyder

88' Scirocco 16v
89' Cabriolet 8v
71' Karmann Ghia