was clutch problem, now clutch cables?

To me, that sounds like the routing of the cable might be wrong on the
Cabby...  I have replaced cables twice on my A1s.  Once, on my 1st GTI with
130K at the time (drove it until 218K), and the other cable was on a Caddy
that I drive occassionally (not even mine really).  The only reason I replaced
that is because the clutch shelled, and I broke his truck while he was out of
the country...  A little extra effort to make sure it was done right, sort of
thing...

Another thought, what brand of cable are you getting?  They are cheap enough
at your not-so-friendly dealer to buy them there...

Just a thought...

  David Utley

Quoting Calimus <calimus@techography.net>:

> Maybe mines a freak then.  Unless the PO who was a documentation wacko
> (I have recipts for valve stem caps), for some reason didn't keep a
> recipt for a new clutch cable, I still have the original cable in my 88'
> rocco.  I think if I can get another 15 years out of a replacement
> cable, I'd pay the $40-60.  I know I've spent about  $30 in the last 3
> years on manual cables for the wifes cabby's.  They always seemt o dry
> out and rub through the plastic sheath or just flat out snap.  Either
> way, I like my Auto-Adjuster and will continue to have one till it
> pisses me off. :)
>
> William
>
> David Utley wrote:
>
> >Although I have not driven one of those either, I hear the same as Patricks'
>
> >sentiments from the folks that I sell the non-adjustable cables to...
> >
> >David Utley
> >
> >Quoting Patrick Bureau <ats@longcoeur.com>:
> >

> >>No hatred, just a simple mathematical solution, self-adjusting clutch
> cable
> >>- 40-60$, non self adjusting - 8-12$.
> >>Personally never had a self adjusting cable in any Scirocco I own, but
> from
> >>what I hear in general, they are expensive, and eventually break down a
> lot
> >>faster than the simple non-adjusting cable. But I am not against them per
> >>say.
> >>
> >>---
> >>ATS - Patrick Bureau -  Web site :
> >>http://ats.longcoeur.com]http://ats.longcoeur.com
> >>AIM: texasscirocco - Yahoo: atsgtx - ICQ: 32918816 - MSN:
> atsgtx@hotmail.com
> >>See what I am selling today on eBay: http://tinyurl.com/22e5b

David Utley
Cable Volkswagen