help needed - some post engine swap q's

ok, so were 90% done with daves rocco 2.0 swap. some hold-ups:

clutch cable - its one of those crappy auto-adjusters. i somehow managed to
reset it (not sure how), and now that its back in, we can only manage to get
it to take up half of the slack. are those plastic bands supposed to be
latched or unlatched? whats the deal for this thing.

tach - for some reason the tach no longer works. all wires seem in tact, and
everything that was connected was reconnected (no extra wires, everything
pluged in, fired up on first crank (gotta love that). anyone had past
experience with this? or perhaps just had their tach stop working? seems
especially weird that the ignition works but the tach doesnt.

water temp - same deal as above. everything is plugged in, but no water
temp...

basically we're waiting on rebuilt half shafts (monday), and dave will be
rolling out of here. then the twins frame building begins :)

thanks in advance for assistance.
Al