3A Bottom end rebuild suggestions

K then.

Tomorrow is the magic day that I go to get the 3A (Excelsior!!! Happy
dance! DAMN!!!!! I spilled my beer!) as well as another stupid impulse
purchase of a set of 6 spoke alloys from a Jetta that had just come in w/
almost brand new 195's (couldn't help it. I'm running 185's on
teardrops now and need some new summer rubber and it only cost me $100 for
the set).

So......the head is coming off the spare JH in the compressor room to be
taken to an area machine shop for the P&P madness/rebuild.

Speaking of which, the preformance cam will be being used in the fresh
head, so I purchased Autotech HD springs from GAP(germanautoparts) today.

Should I get new keepers and seats too?

I'm thinking that since the bank account is hemmoraging already that maybe
I should want to rebuild the bottom end too since it will be out and
convenient and I'll end up w/ nearly a brand new mutant engine for under a
grand so maybe I should shoot the wad and go for it.

Haven't done a bottom end rebuild since my dad and I rebuilt a Honda Trail
90 (looks like a girls bike!) engine when I was in jr. high. I know I'll
probably need rings and crank bearings.

What other things should I replace? Thrust washers? Woodruff key?
Connecting rod bearing shell? Needle bearing?

I'm asking from a preventative maintenance/"God I wish I would have done
that"/"Wow, I have a brand new engine" stand point.

The purchases SO FAR have been:

1.) 3A gasket set w/ seals.
2.) New oilpan
3.) New oil pump (1.8 hydro head)
4.) Windage Tray
5.) Deflector sheild
6.) Autotech HD springs

All help that has been forth coming has, and will be, GREATLY
APPRECIATED!! (You'll find out theat there may be a payoff for all the
noise you've endured.)

Multi Gratzi!
Tim

QOTD: