OT: Passat

The life of the car can be assessed like the life can be in our own cars. --It
all depends on the care it is given, be that money, proper technical
expertise, and/or time...

  The VR6 engine is a strong one with a few caveats...  Eventually there does
appear to be a problem with the tensioners on the timing chains and/or the
chain itself.  This seems to happen anywhere from 80K miles to 160K.  That
would purely depend on how he drives it.  If he uses the engine as a brake (if
it is a manual), then more than likely sooner than later.  Other than that,
they have a consistent problem with the tensioner on the Serpentine belt, it
will begin to make noise.  It is rare for it to seize, but there is always
that possibility once it starts to make noise.  Beyond that, the cars are good
for life, if the recieve the proper care...  See above...

  If he plans on keeping it, get a bentley.  On those cars, they are so
explicit on what to do it is not even funny.  They are like the Corrado ones,
very detailed.  The owner may or may not be interested in doing his own work.
If so, his mechanic may appreciate the investment he has made in the book...

HTH

David Utley

Quoting SailingFC@aol.com: