OT: weird passat electrical issues - stuff needed

electrical issues:
ok, this is freaking weird. the driver side seatbelt retractor thingy
started sticking in the back position, forcing the wife to do some
acrobatice to work around it. after a few days we realized that it only
moves forward with the trunk light on. yes, you heard me right, the trunk
light. it has no problems going back to the locked position, it just wont go
forward unless that light is on. i can even stop it as it moves forward by
closing the trunk again.

anyone have a clue as to whats going on here? i cant think of any tie-ins
between those 2 circuits.

stuff needed:
i need a condenser for a 90 b3 passat. anyone got one???

thx
Al