overheating..SOLUTIONS TO THIS P.I.T.A. COOLING SYSTEM FILLER??

> About the drilled thermostat.
> I drilled two 1/8" holes in my 16V thermostat.
> The car takes forever to warm up compared to my 8V.
> Don't know if drilling the thermostat caused the slow warmup, so curious what other people have
> noticed.
> Dan

Hehe now I don't feel so stupid.

I overheated once last summer, so I pulled the thermostat and drilled two
1/8" holes as well. When winter came, in 20 F weather my car never warmed
up, and it was ice cold on the freeway. No heat in that kind of weather
gets old FAST.

1/8" is too big!! Two 1/8" holes is **8 times** more drilled area than a
single 1/16" hole. You just need a small pinhole to get air through,
nothing bigger.

I bought a new thermo and drilled a single 1/16" hole.. now my car warms
up quickly, I have heat.. and the air bubble is gone.

I've learned, tho.. you can't get rid of the air bubble immediately. It's
just not possible. You have to fill it slowly thorough the upper radiator
hose, then warm up the car till its hot, then turn it off and vent the
air from the upper radiator hose. Let the car cool down, then repeat until
all the air is gone. Such a pain.

HTH

-Toby