running issues with the wifes 89 cabby

Ok, so we all know I got the engine up int he car, now the fun starts, I
can't get the admn thing to run right.  Cam/Crank timing is spot on, I just
don't think I could get it any closer to dead on balls.  I followed Mr.
Bentley and set the dizzy in so that the rotor was pointing to the mark on
the dizzy for #1 cyl.  Start car, no start.  What I've ended up having to do
is move the rotor to the point that it's basicly pointing before #2 cycl to
get the engine to run, but then it runs like shit, but it does run.

What am I missing here?  Timing mark on the crank lines up with the mark on
the belt cover, lines the cam up with the edge of the valve cover per
Bentley.  I've also pulled #1 plug and made sure that #1 cyl is at TDC.
Also just did a compression test and got 181-185psi on all 4 cyl so that
should mean that things are good right?  So where am I screwing up.  Someone
help me cause I really want to get the wife back in a VW before she tries
stealing my rocco again.

William Snyder

88' Scirocco 16v
89' Cabriolet 8v