CD Changer Installation Question

I would either wire it up and hold it at an angle to see if it works, search the manual (I'd think if it wouldn't work that way, it'd say so in the 'mounting instructions' section or something like that), call their tech support number or call up the folks at crutchfield.com. Just don't tell them you bought it somewhere else. Good luck!

Dan

Brad Sterling <bgsterling@earthlink.net> wrote:
Hi all,

I finally got around to buying a new RF CD changer for the 16v. As luck
would have it, it fits nicely in the little cut out in the rear hatch on the
driver's side (I believe it's for a first aid kit?). But, this begs a
question: Can a CD changer be mounted in a position that it's not square to
a surface? I know it can be mounted either horizontal, vertical, and if the
changer allows on an incline. But in all those cases, one of the flat sides
of the changer is parallel to the surface. If I install it in the first aid
cut out, while it will be vertical, it won't be parallel.

I'm not explaining this well, let's try some ASCII art (the "====" is a
flat surface parallel to the ground):

Horizontal install:
----------------------
| Changer |
----------------------
====================

Vertical install:

----------------------
| |
| |
| Changer |
| |
| |
----------------------
====================

First Aid Kit cubby install:

-------
| ---------
| ------
| |
| Changer |
| |
------- |
-----

Clear as mud? If not, anyone know the answer? Can I get away with the
install in the cubby? TIA.

-Brad
'86 Scirocco 16v