VW layoffs & reliability

With all those points in mind, a good engineer would apply the KISS
principle.

I like the early VW's because of the KISS principle.
Few break downs (once you have replaced every thing)
Easy to repair (with minimum tools).
You don't have to marry a mechanic to get it repaired.

And....
The expencive stereo and tv belong in the house.

Julie Macfarlane
1981 MKI 2L 16v
Amsterdam NY