Friday - what's the fastest you've ever taken your Scirocco?

On 7 Mar 2004, at 07:03, Ron Bunch wrote:

> I've made some prompting remarks on the list to see if anyone knew how
> the German spec Sciroccos compared to the US versions but have yet to
> receive anything in detail.
> I do know my 79 German GTI was a high compression ratio and would
> break 120MPH equivalent straight and level.

I took my '83 German GTi 1.8 8V up to 120mph one night on the m4, no
bother - before I chickened out. I hadn't had the car long enough to
know I could trust it at that speed. It was utterly stock, in need of a
good service at the time and it had been in a big shunt. Bumper and
valance caved in, grill missing, hood bent. Before you should suggest
I'm crazy, let me assure you it drove straight and true without a hint
of a wobble - just cosmetic damage (but enough of it to make it not
worth fixing).

My '85 UK GTX 1.8v has never felt quite as quick or responsive. It
feels heavier - but only difference is some 15' alloys and a sunroof.
Don't know about top speed because the speedo has never been very
reliable.

I suspect the Germans kept the best for themselves... So I'm going to
rebuild the German head and stick it in the GTX

Aaron in London