Tune up

If it's a DD and you're not one of the 'must be Mobil 1' people (no offense to them), check out Rotella T, a dirt cheap oil that is very good, especially if you tend to do oil changes a little after the 3000 mi mark. Also good is Castrol GTX, slightly more expensive but I know a couple auto-x'ers that use it, so I trust it as well. Currently I'm using Castrol SynTech, a synthetic blend that goes for like $7 for a gallon at Wal-Mart. I figured that it would keep my seals from leaking because of the regular oil, but give me the benifits of synthetic as well. The seeping I normally have hasn't increased and the price is right.

Dan

miT <mit@lunartransmission.com> wrote:
I’m taking my rocco into the shop for a well needed tune up and was
questioning some products that I’m handing over to my family mechanic so
that he doesn’t use stock parts.

K&N Filter: Are there more than one type of them? I’m looking for high flow,
could I just grab this from my local Autozone or should I purchase it
online?

Timing chain: Recently I’ve been hearing a rattling that sounds like my
timing chain every time I switching gears (esp after high RPM). Can I just
purchase one from Autozone also or should I get the OEM one off TT? Both
seem to be the same price but I’m wary about the “bandaid” fixes that local
part stores are well known for.

HYPERLINK
"http://www.techtonicstuning.com/viewpart.asp?partnum=109.062"http://www.tec
htonicstuning.com/viewpart.asp?partnum=109.062

Synthetic Oil: What’s a good brand to go with? I’ve always used basic oil
for oil changes and want to see what the new Synthetic oils can do for me.
.. and again Autozone or online?

Everything else im going to let my mechanic take care of, unless someone
suggests other things I should hand over to him to use.

Thanks in advance!

/miT

'85 Cabriolet

'88 Scirocco 16v