Steering Column Bearings?

On the 81S, the steering wheel was real loose and "jumpy", so after an inspection, the cylindrical bearing at the bottom of the steering column had slipped out from the bottom of said column.
I patiently "slipped" it back in with my fingers and thought I had resolved he issue.....steering wheel nice & firm again. But the carefree little bearing doesn't want to stay up in there and do it's job. Are there any tricks to this or do I need to dis-assemble the steering column and replace it or am I missing a bushing or sleeve?
TIA.