How to extract CIS box harness through mk1 rain tray?

I'm on the verge of removing the entire fuse box and wiring harness and wondering the correct way that this can be done. There's no way in hell that the harness plug will go through the rain tray (the harness plug that plugs into the Scirocco equivalent of Big Blue  :), so I assume the plug/connector can be removed somehow...Or does it have to be removed from the fusebox and pulled out the other way?

Anyone with experience with this?

thx, Jeff