Yay, my battery isn't charging...

Bryan,
I had the same problem on my '81 last year.  I went through 4
alternators before I finally found the problem.  The blue exciter wire
(the blue wire that goes from the alternator into the dash to run the
battery light) was corroded and broken, and if that happens, the
alternator doesn't 'turn on' and charge the battery.  I ended up getting
a new white plug connector for the alternator and rewiring both main
leads and the exciter wire (which runs underneath the battery).  Trace
all the wires and make sure you get as much rotten stuff out and replaced.
Nate