Coolent system upgrade questions

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Allyn
Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2004 2:31 PM
To: calimus; Scirocco-l
Subject: Re: Coolent system upgrade questions

im kinda jumping into this thread a bit late (it appears this has been an
ongoing saga).
please tell me you have tried running straight water with VERY LITTLE
coolant. like 10-15%. then try and see how cool it runs. also, you could try
flushing the radiator with purple power (off of the car, of course).
Al

Al,
  Why do that?  Corosion (SP?) will go through the roof, which is not good
for the headgasket, or the pump, let alone the rest of the system...?  I am
curious how this will help in the long run.  I do know that it is more
efficient than a mix, but at a good cost to longevity, esp. if it is the
original engine.

  Why not flush the system out with a good flush (Prestone, it works) and
put the orange (since you bought it) in and see what happens?  Depending on
where you are in the country, I also think that the lower temp switches are
as much a problem as they can be a fix.  Black Scirocco in Georgia, well
maybe not if you get where I am going...

Just a quick two cents from the Okie Gallery...

David